Welcome to the world of Kathak!
Kathak is is one of the eight forms of classical dances of India that originated in North India.
The name Kathak is derived from the Sanskrit word ‘katha’ meaning ‘story’ and the one who tells the stories is called ‘Kathak’. Originally when the word was coined it was called ‘Katthak’ but in modern times it has been simplified to ‘Kathak’.
Gunghroos (bells) are worn by dancers of every Indian Classical dance style but the use of ghungroos as seen in Kathak is unparallel in the world. Each and every syllable produced by Tabla or Pakhawaj is resounded with Ghungroos by Kathak dancer.
Its repertoire includes Pure dance Nritta and Expressive dance Nritya. Nritya is performed with subtle gestures and facial expressions and Nritta is characterized by fast rhythmic footwork set to complex time cycles.
The intricate footwork and the virtuous whirls and turns make the dance aggressively beautiful.
This dance style from Northern India has evolved with all the Political and cultural changes of Indian history.
- Classes are offered on weekdays and weekends.
- Class duration is one hour for beginner classes (Foundation Level). Classes Certificate level 1 and above meet for 1.5 hours.
- Diploma levels classes meet twice a week.
- Certificate Levels – Foundation, Certificate 1, Certificate 2, Higher Certificate 1, Higher Certificate 2 – Fees are $20 per hour.
- Diploma Levels – Higher Diploma 1, Higher Diploma 2 – Fees are $25 per hour.
- Refunds or credits are given only for the classes cancelled by the school.
- Students need to bring a set of Kathak ghungroos to class. Kathak ghungroos are tied or braided on a chord (unlike on a belt for Bharatanatyam). Kathak Ghungroos are available for purchase.
- Students should wear Indian Salwar Kameez or Long Top and leggings. Jeans, skirts and shorts are not allowed in class.
- All students are expected to be punctual and regular.
Current Class Schedule
|Monday||7:30 pm to 9:00 pm||Certificate 2||Meenal Chakradeo|
|Tuesday||6:00 to 7:00 pm||Beginner Kids||Urvashi Mishra|
|Tuesday||7:00 to 8:00 pm||Beginner Adults||Urvashi Mishra|
|Wednesday||5:00 to 6:00 pm||Beginner Mother-Daughter (new)||Urvashi Mishra|
|Wednesday||6:00 pm to 7:30 pm||Certificate 2||Meenal Chakradeo|
|Wednesday||7:30 pm to 9:00 pm||Diploma 2||Meenal Chakradeo|
|Thursday||5:00 om to 6:00 pm||Beginner Kids (new)||Meenal Chakradeo|
|Thursday||6:00 to 7:30 pm||Certificate 1 kids||Ketki/ Meenal Chakradeo|
|Thursday||7:30 pm to 9:00 pm||Certificate 1 Adults||Meenal Chakradeo|
|Friday||4:30 pm to 6:00 pm||Higher Certificate Level 1||Meenal Chakradeo|
|Friday||6:00 pm to 7:00 pm||Beginner Adults (new)||Urvashi Misha|
|Sunday||10:00 am to 1:00 pm||Private sessions||Meenal Chakradeo|
|Sunday||2:00 pm to 4:00 pm||Diploma 2||Meenal Chakradeo|
|Sunday||4:00 pm to 5:30 pm||Diploma 1||Meenal Chakradeo|
|Sunday||5:30 pm to 7:00 pm||Higher Certificate Level 2||Meenal Chakradeo|